sobota 8. února 2014

Study: Apply to Berkeley School of Information MIDS Program

It was little bit easygoing decision. When I saw offer to apply to Berkeley School of Information Master of Information and Data Science (MIDS) Program I tried it. It is completely online study. And here is my experience with how it went. In front of this post I need to say I haven't finish it and I won't do it. The main reason is: for me it is impossible to finance it. Before you start, please have a look over financial part too. You can find tuition-fee described in detail in separate article. I haven't done that, I expect it is expensive, but not so much, of course it is Berkeley :-), so I have been surprised in the middle of application.


Study

Detail description of study curriculum you can find on website, but I will briefly describe it. Study at Berkeley contains 27 units in 3 parts:
  • Foundation courses (15 units, 3 units per each subject):
    1. Research Design and Application for Data and Analysis
    2. Exploring and Analyzing Data
    3. Storing and Retrieving Data
    4. Introduction to Machine Learning
    5. Visualizing and Communication Data
  • Advanced courses (9 units, 3 units per each subject):
    1. Really Big Data: Scaling up and Parallelism
    2. Experiments and Experimentation with Data
    3. Privacy, Security and Ethics of Data
  • Capstone course (3 units)
Study is possible to chose in length of 12 or 24 months.

Application

Again, detail description is in admissions overview website. I will just describe it from my point of view. So, what do you need to do to apply:
  • Minimally bachelor degree, of course it is MSc. study with Grade Point Average 3.0 and better.
  • 5+ year's of technical work experience 
  • Have done GMAT or GRE tests
  • Have done TOEFL (minimum score 100) or IELTS (minimum score 7.5) in case you 
    • are not native English speaker 
    • studied university in another countries then USA, UK, Australia, Canada (English speaking)
  • Fulfill questionnaire
    • Personal information
    • Language information
    • Academic background
    • Core competencies
      • Programming languages, necessary have experience with
        • Java
        • Python
        • R
      • Math and Computer Science knowledge, where and how did you study:
        • Linear Algebra
        • Data Structures
        • Algorithms and Analysis of Algorithms
  • Uploads
    • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
      • Diploma (High school, University)
      • Details about study (grades, credits,...)
      • Maybe Grade Point Average calculation
    • Resume or CV
      • Education
      • Employment
      • Certifications
    • Statement of purpose
      • Aptitude
      • Motivation
    • Essay
      • How did the data influence a good or bad decision making process? 
      • Limit your response to 300 words.
    • Recommendations
      • 3 recommendation letters
      • Academic and professional recommendations
      • Not recommended from co-workers, subordinated people, family and friends

Costs

Application fee

Initial costs are then, for me as non-US (or English speaking country) citizen:

  • $250 TOEFL
  • $250 GRE/GMAT
  • $100 application fee (US citizens only $80)
So, just apply to Berkeley costs me $600 and I am not sure if I will succeed or fail :-(.

Tuition fee

And finally, tuition-fee is $2,222.20 per unit which means $60,000 per whole study. And, if I understood correctly this sentence (link at the beginning of this post): "Please note that MIDS fees are subject to change and you should expect them to rise each year of the MIDS program", it should be increased any time during your study.

Conclusion

Yes, it is really interesting opportunity to study Berkeley. I already have MSc. from one good technical university in Europe, so I don't need so much another one. I would rather do postgraduate study (PhD) about Data science, Predictive analysis, Machine learning, Big Data or another similar field of study. 

I am not sure if I would be satisfied with this study. In Foundation courses I cannot find nothing which I cannot study by myself. And many of these things (R language, Hadoop/MapReduce, Statistics, Machine Learning, Data Visualization) are available in many formats online, as books or as MOOC courses for free or with minimal investment of money. Advanced part is more interesting, but I am not sure if for this is worth to pay. And I am expecting some kind of this courses as MOOC for free or with minimal fee. Maybe a part of some complex course or study.

And I am not sure if I would succeed with appliance. My GPA calculated from whole MSc is worse than 3.0 and even I asked about it, because it is better than 2.50. Their answer was they will consider all applications individually.

And finally, it is not cheap, because it is Berkeley or maybe because it is prestige US university.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat